Amazon's Lord Of The Rings MMO Was Canceled Because Things Got 'Very Complicated'
1. Amazon Games' in-development MMO set in the world of The Lord of the Rings was canceled last year.
2. The cancelation was due to contract negotiations surrounding the franchise following Tencent's acquisition of Leyou Technologies Holdings Ltd.
3. Amazon Games president Christoph Hartmann recently shed light on this series of events in a new interview, citing that things got "very complicated" following the acquisition.
4. The complication came from a special clause written into the contract of Lord of the Rings license holder, Middle-earth Enterprises, that allowed it to terminate a rights deal if one of its partners got acquired.
5. Amazon Games could have reworked its plans to include Tencent, but the studio eventually decided to call it quits.